More and more people all across the globe are turning to juice for their everyday additional nutrient intake. Even if juicing alone is not enough to keep you healthy, it still can be an excellent way to add healthy food choices to your diet. One great fruit to juice are grapefruits, these are tropical fruits that are packed with antioxidants, and it is one tasty drink. That is why in this article, we are going to take a closer look at grapefruits and their health benefits.
Grapefruit Nutrition Facts
The very first grapefruit was created during the 18th century when orange and pomelo were crossed. This fruit is known to be packed with a wide array of incredible beneficial nutrients. Before we talk about the health benefits of juicing grapefruits, here’s the nutritional breakdown of an average grapefruit.
- Calories: 52
- Carbs: 13 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Folate: 4% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 3% of the RDI
- Potassium: 5% of the RDI
- Protein: 1 g
- Thiamine: 4% of the RDI
- Vitamin A: 28% of the RDI
- Vitamin C: 64% of the RDI
RDI stands for Recommended Daily Intake, and these are FDA recommendations for the average healthy American.
Benefits of Drinking Grapefruit Juice
- Grapefruit juice is low in calories – One average size grapefruit juice only has 96 calories. This is lower compared to other fruits; for example, pineapple juice has 133 calories, orange juice has about 110 calories, and mango juice has 128 calories. Not only that, but grapefruit also contains a good amount of minerals, fibers, and nutrients, which means that you can drink a few glasses of grapefruit juice without worrying about going over your daily calorie count or gaining weight.
- Grapefruit contains powerful antioxidants –Because of its high vitamin C content, grapefruit is great for boosting your immune system. Consuming the right amounts of vitamin C every day means that you will be less likely to suffer from inflammation, common cold, and infection diseases. Grapefruit also contains lycopene, beta-carotene, and flavanones known for their anti-inflammatory properties that can help prevent certain types of cancer and specific eye condition. Grapefruit also contains zinc, B vitamins, iron, and copper that can all help to further boost the immune system and protect us against illness.
- Grapefruit can help you lose weight – If you’re trying to lose weight, then consuming grapefruit juice might help. Grapefruit has high fiber contents that can help reduce calorie intake, and it is also high in water but low in calories. It also has a lot of electrolyte minerals that can rehydrate your body.
- Grapefruit can help improve your heart health –Research shows that grapefruit can help lower LDL cholesterol levels, which can help reduce the risk of heart disease and improve blood flow. This is all thanks to the grapefruit’s potassium and fiber contents which are both linked to lower blood pressure and improved heart health.
- Grapefruit may help prevent diabetes and insulin resistance– Diabetes is a health condition that develops when the body becomes insulin resistant. Insulin is a hormone that helps the body break down food by controlling blood sugar levels and regulating metabolism. According to some studies, drinking grapefruit juice can help prevent insulin resistance.
- Grapefruit juice is good for the immune system – As we mentioned, grapefruits are packed with vitamin C, and it is widely known to be a great helper when it comes to boosting the immune system.
- Grapefruit juice can help you lose weight – Grapefruit has high fiber content that helps reduce your appetite and calorie intake. Grapefruits are also 88 percent water which means that you can get plenty of hydration by drinking a glass of grapefruit juice. Not only that but grapefruits are also packed with electrolyte minerals such as potassium which can help rehydrate your body.
Can You Have Too Much Grapefruit Juice?
Just like with most things, there’s always a point when it’s too much. That is why when it comes to drinking grapefruit juice, it is best if you stick to at least one to two glasses a day. We know that it has a lot of health benefits, but if you drink a couple of glasses, you may start to feel its adverse effects such as heartburn, acid erosion, as well as weight gain.
Is It Okay to Consume Grapefruit Juice Every Day?
If you’re planning to incorporate grapefruit juice into your everyday diet, we suggest that you opt for pure grapefruit juice and not the one that contains added sugars. This way, you can fully take advantage of its health benefits without having to gain weight or get your blood sugar spikes. If you’re going to drink grapefruit juice every day, it is best if you limit your intake to 6 ounces per day and make sure that you are not eating too many calories.
Is There a Way to Improve the Taste of Grapefruit Juice?
Grapefruits and grapefruit juice are sour, and not everyone is fond of their taste. That is why if you want to include grapefruit in your diet and you do not like its taste, you can try adding a zero-calorie sweetener to make the grapefruit juice sweeter or dilute it with sparkling water for a little extra fizz.
Can You Consume Grapefruit Juice with Medicine?
Take note that grapefruit juice can interact with certain medications. It can decrease or increase the effect of the medicine that you are taking. That is why if you’re on any prescription medication, we suggest that you consult your doctor before you make grape juice a part of your diet.