Honeydew melon or also known as honey melon is a fruit that belongs to the melon family called Cucumis melo or muskmelon. Honeydew has a sweet flesh that is typically light green in color, along with its skin that has a white-yellow hue. It has a similar shape and size of a cantaloupe, and it is available and can be cultivated worldwide. You can be eaten honeydews by itself or mixed it in salads, desserts, snacks, and even soups. Though most people like it for its flavor, honeydew is also packed with other nutritious benefits.
- Helps lessen bad Cholesterol – Honeydew melon contains high soluble fiber, and it helps to reduce the high cholesterol levels in the body. Bad cholesterol, or also known as LDL cholesterol, is caused by plaque, and it is usually eliminated by flushing it out of the system with the help of soluble fiber.
- Can help strengthens bones and teeth– Honeydews are rich in calcium, which is why consuming this fruit every day can help strengthen and develop healthy bones and teeth by giving the necessary calcium amount in the body.
- Gives you excellent hydration– Honeydew melon is known for storing water in its flesh. This is why drinking its juice extract can help supply your body with essential minerals and electrolytes, such as magnesium, iron, potassium, and zinc. Some experts believe that it is the best alternative to mineral water. The honeydew fruit is made up of almost 90% water, which is why it is a great thirst quencher.
- Good For Digestion– As we mentioned, honeydews are packed with insoluble fibers. And this fiber can help your stomach to properly digest food. Along with this, a glass of honeydew can also help cure constipation and bloating in a snap. Aside from that, honeydews also help to strengthen kidneys because it can flush out the toxins more effectively.
- Honeydews are ideal for hypertension– For those people who are suffering from hypertension, you can get a whole lot of benefits from drinking honeydew juice. This is because this fruit can help with elevated blood pressure. Aside from that, this sweet and sour fruit is also an excellent alternative to salt because it also contains potassium, which is known to help fight hypertension.
- Honeydews help boost the body’s immunity– Studies show that a glass of honeydew juice also contains vitamin C that can cater to about thirty-four percent of our body’s daily vitamin C requirement. As we all know, this vitamin plays an important role when strengthening and boosting the body’s immune system.
- Honeydews are perfect for pregnant women– Honeydew juices contain almost all the essential vitamins and minerals that are needed for the development of a healthy baby in the mother’s womb. Aside from that, drinking honeydew juices can help relieve common problems of pregnancy, like indigestion and gas.
- Honeydews provide excellent nourishment for skin– The amount of vitamin c that can be found in honeydew melon juice is enough for the skin to improves its collagen levels. Collagen is a protein that can help to strengthen our blood vessels and skin cells. Aside from that, it also helps fight the effects of aging, like the sagging of the skin and, of course, wrinkles.
- Honeydews can give you better vision and healthy eyes– Honeydew juice contains zeaxanthin and lutein, which are phytonutrients that are believed to help us maintain healthy eyes. Drinking honeydew juice every day can help improve vision and reduce the risk of developing eye infections and cataracts.
- Honeydew juice can also work as a diuretic– Experts considers honeydew juice as a natural diuretic. This means that it helps fight water retention because it effectively flushes out toxins and salts, which cause water retention. People, especially those who suffer from diabetes, can drink honeydew juice every day in order to fluid retention in their bodies.
Quick Tip: When buying a honeydew melon, always look for a fruit that has a pale or creamy white texture. You will be able to determine a ripe honeydew fruit by its lovely aromatic smell. But if you are not going to juice it right away, you can settle for a honeydew fruit that is not ripe, you have to put it in room temperature, and you could wait for a couple of days until its ripe.