Mangoes are considered to be one of the world’s most delicious and healthiest fruits. In fact, some even call it “king of the fruits.” Mangoes come in different colors, such as reddish-orange, green, and yellow, along with its deep yellow pulpy interior. Aside from its mouth-watering taste, mangoes are also known for their health and beauty benefits. This is why in this article, we are going to elaborate on the different nutritional value of mango and mango juice and its benefit for our overall health.
What is mango?
Mangoes are tropical stone fruits, and they have a plump and oval shape. They have a smooth and inedible skin that ranges in color from green through to red-green and yellow, depending on its variety. While it has a soft, edible yellow flesh along with a hard, inedible seed. Mangoes only tend to grow in places that have warmer climates, which is why they are native to Southern Asia. However, they are now grown in other countries such as Mexico, the Caribbean, and the United States of America.
Health Benefits of Mango
- Help prevents cancer – Mango is packed with antioxidant compounds such as astragalin, quercetin, isoquercitrin, methyl gallate, fisetin, and gallic acid. All these compounds are known to be useful when it comes to reducing the risks of colon, leukemia, prostate, and breast cancers (read more here). Aside from that, mangoes also have a soluble dietary fiber ‘pectin,’ which also plays an essential role in this regard. According to some studies, pectin helps to trim down the action of “galectin 9,” which is a functioning element that can be found in cancerous cells. Another antioxidant that is found in mangoes is called “lupeol,” and it helps to suppress the tumor cells when it comes to prostate cancer.
- It helps lower bad cholesterol levels – Mango juice helps nourishes your body with Vitamin C. The pectin and Vitamin C is a combination that can help to facilitate the human body in lowering the serum cholesterol levels, especially LDL or the bad cholesterol
- It helps to maintain blood pressure – Just like a banana, Mangoes also contains an essential electrolyte called potassium, which helps your muscles, nerves, and heart’s functions. This beneficial mineral can also help to regulate the balance of fluids in your body as well as your blood pressure.
- Mangoes can be beneficial for anemia – Iron is considered to be one significant nutrient in our body, and having an iron deficiency can lead to several severe health problems such as anemia. In order to avoid this, you need to give your body a notable amount of iron by drinking at least one serving of mango juice every day. This juice can also be advantageous for the to-be-mothers because they are the ones who require a high content of iron.
- Mango juice can help maintain good eye health – Eating mango or drinking mango juice is one of the best ways to give your body the crucial nutrient called Vitamin A. This vitamin acts is one of the best defenders against eye problems such as dry eyes and night blindness. Mango juice can also help promote good eyesight.
- Helps you achieve clear skin – One of the best benefits of mango juice is that it can enhance the health of your skin by giving you some essential nutrients in significant quantities. Pimples, excessive oiliness, acne, and other skin issues can be treated by massaging your face with mango juice extract every day. All you have to do is to apply the mango pulp directly on your skin for about ten minutes. After that, you should wash your skin with tepid water.
- Helps to alkalize your body – Mangoes contains tartaric acid, a trace of citric acid, and malic acid, which helps to facilitate and maintain the alkali content of the body.
- Helps fight diabetes– Diabetes is a severe ailment that affects millions of people all across the globe. It is diagnosed by having a surplus quantity of blood sugar in your body. The most common causes of diabetes include high cholesterol, insulin resistance, and high blood pressure. Mango juice can help to control the sugar levels in the body by maintaining blood pressure, cutting down bad cholesterol, and keeping insulin levels in check. You have to make sure that the mango juice is not that sweet.
- Mangoes can help boost the immune system – Mangoes are packed with vitamin a, vitamin c, and carotenoids. When they are all combined together, they all work to keep your immune system strong and healthy.
Not only is mango delicious it has great health benefits as well. Adding mango juice into your diet can definitely taste great and have its rewards.